Have you ever met an amazing person, found out they were single, and automatically thought “something must be wrong with them”. Don’t act like you’ve never done it. I know I have.
But isn’t it time to get over that stigma? In the past 7 months with no boyfriend, I have had countless fun-filled weekends with my best friends, focused on my hobbies, and spent time reflecting on myself. And in those past few months I have come to a realization; I don’t want a boyfriend. At least not for now. And here is why:
- I can do whatever the fuck I want, whenever I want. With no one to answer to and no one to argue with. Do you know how nice that is?
- I get to spend time with my wide (and spectacular) circle of friends more often.
- I’ve been to Vegas twice in the last few months and I am leaving for Mexico next week. Places that I probably wouldn’t have gone if I was in a relationship. Basically, I still get to be selfish for a little bit longer. And at 22 I think that’s completely fair. (P.S. For me to want to stop being selfish with my time, it’s going to take a lot more than a Facebook/text message.)
- I’m not putting off my goals anymore. Improving in photography is something important to me, so I am taking a portrait photography class in my free time and it is paying off.
- I spent all the recent holidays with MY family.
- I haven’t found anyone worth getting off the market for. Yes, there is no such thing as perfection, but there is also nothing wrong with being picky. (*Disclaimer* the line “it’s not you it’s me” IS a real thing, believe me, I’ve gone on dates with awesome guys. Doesn’t mean I want to date ’em.)
- I am learning new things about myself. Haleigh took me to a EDM concert for the first time last weekend. Guess what? I loved it. Didn’t even know I’d been missing out on that culture for so long. I like being open to new experiences with nothing holding me back.
- I am taking care of my body. Working out and eating healthy are two of my other main goals right now.
- My happiness isn’t constantly revolving around another person. This is a big one for me because in the past I’ve let my boyfriends control my happiness. They could easily steal it away anytime things went south. I feel like this has been my biggest area of growth because I can make my own happiness, and eventually another person will just ADD to that joy.
I feel lucky that I have this time to myself. I know I’ll be a better person when the right guy does come along.